Virtual Guidebook to El Camino Real
La Purisima Mission - One
La Purisima Mission State Historical Park, near Lompoc California


The modern traveler to La Purisima begins at the excellent visitor center, with displays on the native peoples, the history of the mission, and of its restoration by the CCC in the 1930's.

Two hundred years ago one would have approached on foot or horseback along El Camino Real. One of the first things to be seen, or heard, would be the bells in the campanario (freestanding bell wall).

The long low building is the mission church itself, enlivened with paintings and sculpture, and an altar radiant with gold leaf. A walled cemetery is behind the bell wall.



 thumbnail

Native American and Mission era exhibits at the Mission La Purisima Visitor Center

(June 10, 2010)


 thumbnail

Exhibits on the CCC and mission restoration at the Mission La Purisima Visitor Center

(June 10, 2010)


 thumbnail

El Camino Real ran west from Mission Santa Ines to Mission La Purisima

(April 27, 2008)


 thumbnail

Simple ox carts were used to trasport agricultural products and building materials

(April 27, 2008)


 thumbnail

Campanario or bell wall next to the church at Mission la Purisima

(June 10, 2010)


 thumbnail

Behind the campanario and the church is the cemetery

(April 27, 2008)


 thumbnail

The mission church at La Purisima, showing choir loft and confessional at the back

(April 27, 2008)


 thumbnail

Next to the altar in the mission church at La Purisima, showing a bell wheel and steps up to the pulpit

(April 27, 2008)


Next Locality: La Purisima Mission - Two