Virtual Guidebook to El Camino Real
Henry Coe State Park
east of Morgan Hill California


We owe this magnificent parkland to Sadah Coe Robinson, who re-purchased the 12,000 acre Pine Ridge Ranch she had grown up on, and in 1953 donated it to the state. She asked that it be made into a state park and named for her father, Henry W. Coe.

The original ranch now forms the western portion of the park, a grassy ridge studded with oaks and pines. Subsequent purchases and donations have extended the park south and east across a huge area of rugged ridges and canyons. At 78,000 acres (and still growing) it is the second-largest state park.



 thumbnail

Anderson Lake, full to overflowing in a wet spring

(May 5, 2006)


 thumbnail

The Henry Coe State Park visitor center at Pine Ridge Ranch

(May 5, 2006)


 thumbnail

View to the Santa Clara Valley from Pine Ridge Ranch

(May 5, 2006)


 thumbnail

On the trail to Sadah's Pine

(May 5, 2006)


 thumbnail

At the foot of Sadah's Pine, named for Henry Coe's daughter

(May 5, 2006)


 thumbnail

A huge old oak used as an acorn granary by woodpeckers

(May 5, 2006)


 thumbnail

A classic oak parkland at Arnold Field in Hhenry Coe State Park

(May 5, 2006)


 thumbnail

A fallen valley oak at Arnold Field

(May 5, 2006)


Next Locality: Pacheco State Park